Tuesday, November 27, 2007


McClatchy: Inside Iraq - Debunking The Myth Of Iraqi Sovereignty

[Cross-posted from My Buffalo River Home]

McClatchy: Inside Iraq

November 27, 2007

False Sovereignty

School in the whole world is a place for educating people whether this school is in the USA or in Iraq. But what happened yesterday at one of the schools in Baghdad is so far from education and humanity. A teacher and student in a central Baghdad school told me this story.

School in Iraq

Yesterday noon, an American squad from the United State Army (about ten to twelve) We don't have the right to ask them why they came to the school. The soldiers spread in different spots of the school walking towards the back yard which is used as a soccer field. Most of the students were in their classes when the squad came, but still there were many students in the yard who were terrified to see the American soldiers with their guns. One of the students was upset to see the soldiers and he threw a stone and hit one of them. Three soldiers surrounded him kicking him with their boots for some minutes on different parts of his body.

Later, a teacher of English said that the captain of the squad told him "next time if students throw stones, we will use our machine guns not the boots". I really hated myself hearing that news as I am a teacher myself. What shall I do if I were there? What shall I tell my students? How can I behave? What excuses will I give for that incident? My brain stops thinking from now on .

In 2003 I thought we were getting democracy and freedom, but what happened at that school does not tell the story of freedom .

Posted at 11:43 AM

--30--


Iraqi Schoolchildren


Related @ Technorati: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,